We at Kid's Cosmos have enjoyed taking you on the Field Trip to Mars and hope you had fun discovering and learning about this part of our world. Below you will find our Resources of suggested books and links for more study, Credits and Sources.
Resources and Links
All external links open in a new tab.
Close the tab to return to Kid's Cosmos.
The Cambridge Planetary Handbook by Michael E. Bakich
Glacial Lake Missoula and Its Humongous Floods by David Alt
Northwest Exposures by David Alt and Donald W. Hyndman
The Mystery of Mars by Sally Ride and Tam O'Shaughnessy
Roadside Geology of Washington by David Alt and Donald W. Hyndman
Kid's Cosmos in grateful for the permission to use materials from Field Guide #2, Channeled Scablands of Southeastern Washington, Geology Department, Washington State University, by G. D. Webster, Victor R. Baker, and Carl Gustafson, 1976.
Unless otherwise stated, the photos of Washington were taken by Jim Draggoo for Kid's Cosmos. The on-line tour was researched and written by Jim Draggoo.
Mars and other space images are from NASA including NASA/JPL and NASA/JPL/Malin Space Science Systems. Some pictures, maps and diagrams are from US Geological Survey material as listed. The follwing images are from stock clipart: pg. 1 ice-filled lake; pg. 2 sand ripples; pg. 9 Niagra Falls; pg. 9A mountain lake 1 and mountain lake 2; pg. 10 beach rocks; pg. 15 shield volcano, Crater Lake, lava tower; pg. 16 glacial lake, ice-filled lake, and mountain glaciers.
We thank Eastern Washington University Press for permission to use some of the diagrams, maps and images from The Channeled Scablands of Eastern Washington. They are indicated by the Copyright © EWU Press in the caption.
Sources and Bibliography
- Alt, D. and Hyndman, D., 1995, Northwest Exposures - A Geologic Story of the Northwest: Mountain Press Publishing, Missoula, MT.
- Baker, V. and Nummedal, D., 1978, The Channeled Scabland - A Guide to Geomorphology of the Columbia Basin, Washington: NASA
- Breckenridge, R. M., 1989, Glacial Lake Missoula and the Channeled Scabland - Field Trip Guidebook T310: American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.
- Easterbrook, D. and Rahm, D., 1970, Landforms of Washington - The Geologic Environment: Western Washington State University, Bellingham, WA.
- Molenaar, D., 1988, The Spokane Aquifer, Washington - Its Geologic Origin and Water-bearing and Water-quality Chacteristics: U. S. Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 2265
- Newman, W. and Weis, P., 1999, The Channeled Scablands of Eastern Washington - The Geologic Story of the Spokane Flood: Eastern Washington University Press, Cheney, WA.
- Orr, Elizabeth and William, 1996, Geology of the Pacific Northwest: McGraw-Hill.
Kids' Cosmos… Expanding Minds Beyond the Limits of the Universe
P.O. Box 14077, Spokane, WA 99206-4077
© 2011 Kid's Cosmos
This tour created with the support of: